Legal Assistance and Information: Ombudsman, service commissioners and government schemes
While a private lawyer can help you with a legal problem or dispute, you may be able to use other services that are free or low cost.
There are many organisations set up to help you resolve a legal problem or dispute as quickly and efficiently as possible without having to go to court. Each organisation usually specialises in a specific area e.g. the Fair Work Ombudsman assists with disputes about employment. Some government prganisataions deal with a range of different areas e.g. Consumer Affairs Victoria, which oversees various issues affecting consumers and business.
These services are independent, confidential and generally free. But you will usually have to show that you have tried to solve the problem yourself first.

What is an ombudsman?
An ombudsman handles compliants in a particular industry, such as telecommunicatins or financial services

What is a service commissioner?
A service commissioner handles complaints, undertakes investigations and acts as a regulator in a particular industry, such as legal services or health services.

Contact Details

The Legal Helpdesk
Ph: 1800 677 402

Postal Address

Level 5, 43 Hardware Lane
Melbourne Victoria 3000

Site Address

Head Office
43 Hardware Lane
Melbourne, Victoria 3000

Operating Days & Times

Office hours


People with legal problems who have tried to resolve the problem prior to contacting us


Generally free (but you will usually have to show that you have tried to solve the problem yourself first).

Age Ranges

No age range

Wheelchair Access Provided