Legal Assistance and Information: Ombudsman, service commissioners and government schemesWhile a private lawyer can help you with a legal problem or dispute, you may be able to use other services that are free or low cost.
There are many organisations set up to help you resolve a legal problem or dispute as quickly and efficiently as possible without having to go to court. Each organisation usually specialises in a specific area e.g. the Fair Work Ombudsman assists with disputes about employment. Some government prganisataions deal with a range of different areas e.g. Consumer Affairs Victoria, which oversees various issues affecting consumers and business.
These services are independent, confidential and generally free. But you will usually have to show that you have tried to solve the problem yourself first.
What is an ombudsman?
An ombudsman handles compliants in a particular industry, such as telecommunicatins or financial services
What is a service commissioner?
A service commissioner handles complaints, undertakes investigations and acts as a regulator in a particular industry, such as legal services or health services.
Contact DetailsThe Legal Helpdesk
Ph: 1800 677 402
Postal AddressLevel 5, 43 Hardware Lane
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Site AddressHead Office
43 Hardware Lane
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Operating Days & TimesOffice hours
EligibilityPeople with legal problems who have tried to resolve the problem prior to contacting us
FeesGenerally free (but you will usually have to show that you have tried to solve the problem yourself first).
Age RangesNo age range
Wheelchair Access ProvidedYes
Other services Offered by Victoria Law Foundation
- Financial Ombudsman Service
- Consumer Affairs Victoria
- Disability Services Commissioner
- Office of the Public Advocate
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- Fair Work Ombudsman
- Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)
- Ombudsman Victoria
- Health Services Commissioner
- Legal Services Commissioner
- Office of the Victorian Privacy Commissioner
- Public Transport Ombudsman
- Office of the Victorian Small Business Commissioner
- Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
- Free or low-cost legal services
- Victoria Legal Aid (VLA)
- Community Legal Centres
- Private Lawyers and Law Institute of Victoria
- More Information