Sports Clubs: Soccer ClubThe original Benalla Rovers Soccer Club began in the early 1950's, with the opening of the migrant hostel in Benalla. A group of New Australians from the migrant hostel, got together, formed a committee, and so started the Benalla Rovers Soccer Club.
In 1954 the club played its first game at its then home ground, which was situated behind the Benalla Aerodrome.
Some 18 years later the club moved to its existing premises at Churchill Reserve. It had no clubrooms, change rooms or showers. Players actually changed in a garage of a private residence across the road from the ground. The clubs only income was from the canteen, which was only a tin shed.
Over the next few years the Council built change rooms. The club itself through donations, fundraising and voluntary labour, built its own canteen, clubrooms and function hall, which the club believes are equal to any in the association.
The club then concentrated on putting up lights, again these were funded by the club itself. Because of these lights the club can know host night games.
In 1993 the club decided that in order for the club to survive it needed to affiliate with S.A.W. (now AWFA)
In 1995 the club was accepted by S.A.W. Before the club joined S.A.W. it only had seniors, reserves and a junior team.
Since 2009 the club has decided to rejoin a Victorian competition in the North East Soccer League (NESL). So far we have been enthusiastically welcomed and we look forward to participating in our first competition with them. In 2012 we rejoined the AWFA hoping this competition would prove more popular with our members and sure it would suite our junior development more.
Contact DetailsJo Cooper
Ph: 0431 816-224
social media: https://www.facebook.com/benallarovers/
Postal AddressPO Box 257
Benalla Victoria 3672
Site AddressClub Rooms
Churchill Reserve Bond Street
Benalla, Victoria 3672
Operating Days & TimesTraining on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30pm
Games on Sundays